Here’s the recipe.
- 5 Tbs. active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. sugar, plus 2 tsp.
- 1c. milk, lukewarm
- 3 1/4c. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- approx. 7 apples (we used a mixture of Courtland and Rome)
- you could also use plums, pears,…
- 2c. flour
- 1c. sugar
- 1tsp. vanilla
- 1c. butter
1. Disolve yeast with 2 tsp. of sugar in 1/3 c. of milk. Let stand for approx. 15 minutes.
2. Combine flour, remaining sugar, salt, remaining milk and butter. Add the yeast mixture and mix ingredients with dough hook for approx. 5 minutes. Cover bowl and let dough rise in a warm spot.
3. Wash, peel, and slice apples. I recommend this peeler. It made this step easy and fast.
4. Knead dough and spread it out on a 18 ” x 12″ greased pan. Cover with apples (or fruit of choice).
5. For the streusel, combine flour, sugar, vanilla and butter. Mix until the streusel are the size you like. Sprinkle the streusel over the fruit and bake at 350°F for approx. 35 minutes.
6. Let the cake cool before serving.
I hope you enjoy this apple cake as much as my family does.
(Note – The links in this post are my referral links.)